Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pinoy Pao

Of all the dimsums out their, siopao and siomai seems to top it all and it has become one of Filipino's favorite snacks or appetizers. Sometimes siomai even serves as 'ulam' to satisfy our hunger pangs. 

If you will look around, you can see a siomai kiosk in every mall or any high concentration of people foot traffic. It is a food industry in it's own right and I'm not even talking about restaurants who serves siomai as part of their daily menu.

Having that said, let me share my new discovery: Pinoy Pao!

Aside from Hen Lin, there are few food kiosks that offers an array of dimsum. And I'm glad my friend introduced me to this new joint. Pinoy Pao is one of the emerging food kiosk that offers Pinoy's favorite snacks: siomai and siopao! 

Pinoy Pao's siomai might cost you additional P2 compared to other siomai stalls (eg. master siomai, etc) but it's worth the price. I like the taste better and on a personal note, it has a more chinese taste to it compared to others stalls.

Now let's go to my other favorite. Having the name Pinoy Pao, I'm pretty sure siopao comes in to mind. They have a lot of variations to choose from and some original creations as well.

Let me share first what I like about siopao. One of the first thing I check is the bun (bread). I don't know if you've noticed it already but their is that distinct taste when it comes to the bread of a good siopao. One good benchmark would be the siopao of Kowloon and Masuki. The filling is the next thing I check in a siopao.

I love Pinoy Pao's Ham & Cheese Siopao! The combination of the ham and cheese with the siopao bun is awesome!!! I had a confession though, I forgot to take a picture of it and just remembered after I ate it. I will update this blog entry and will post a pic of it as soon as possible.

Now let's go to my favorite kind of siopao: bola-bola!!! I'm glad that most of the stalls/restos out there offers it. Pinoy Pao offers 2 kinds of bola-bola. First is their normal bola-bola, just a meat ball inside the bun. The second is their special siopao, also known as jumbo siopao. Same filling as bola-bola with additional salted egg to compliment the taste.


I also tried their Sweet Pao and it's also good too. I've tried their ube and mongo pao. The bun taste good, a bit sweeter compared to the traditional white bun. Sometimes, the flavor of the filling is mixed in the dough of its bun. These sweet paos are perfect for snacks specially if you have a sweet tooth. I'm a bit bias about this one and I like the ube more than the mongo pao. Just because I like anything made of ube.


Just want to remind everyone that this post is generated through my pongTrips of  food kiosk/stalls that offers siomai and siopao. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of restaurants that offer great dimsum and I have a lot of favorites in my own list (I'll reserve that for future posts).

How about you? What's your favorite siomai/siopao joint? I'll try it out and maybe I can write about it next time.

Share







No comments:

Post a Comment